- Threw a surprise party for the kid on her birthday, which turned out to not be a surprise after all. The kid was meddling with my phone and found that I had called a few of her friends. Nevertheless, she had loads of fun. I made layered strawberry mousse, which flew like the falcon. The adults had a spoonful left to taste.
- It’s the third day of the year, and I am slowly easing into my self-care resolution. I have reduced sugar intake considerably – just one spoon with my coffee in the morning. Trying to reduce portion sizes as well. Taking baby steps into mindfulness. Need to start on the exercise routine in earnest.
- Started working on the many deadlines that will rule the next three months of my life. The start is a bit slow, as it usually is, but will hopefully pick up steam soon.
- The nights are chilly, chillier than I remember my city to be. Perhaps it is the new house with all its ventilation and trees around that makes it chillier than the old one. Or perhaps the weather IS chillier. Or perhaps I am merely getting old and unable to tolerate the chill. My kid asks me how I survived Syracuse, I wonder myself.
- I turned down two editing assignments, and feel liberated.
- My house is a bit of a mess. But I keep reminding myself that it’s ok. I’ll get to the cleaning eventually. Man, it’s hard. Not the cleaning part, but the feeling-ok-about-the-mess part.
- Ran into a college junior today on the road. We were pretty close friends for many years, even across continents, but today’s meeting was awkward and uncomfortable. Strange.
- I am beginning to not want to talk to anyone now. I usually go into this mode before my deadlines – gearing up for all the brain work in store, but this time, the need for silence is stronger than ever, and seems unconnected to my work.
- My mind keeps running back into all my uncomfortable memories of the past and I deliberately bring it back to the present. God, I have too many uncomfortable memories, it seems. Do you?
- I may have a house guest by the end of this month. I am mixed about it. On one hand, she is family, and a spirited family member at that. On the other hand, my need for silence and isolation….
How has your year been so far?